Two and a half years ago, at the age of 27, I was working as a personal trainer and was physically very active. However, I was forced to stop working towards the end of 2012 because I was experiencing debilitating fatigue and severe migraine headaches. The doctors I consulted told me that my symptoms were most likely due to excessive stress.
- Are eggs OK?
- I thought saturated fat caused heart disease.
- Don’t we need grains?
- Too much protein is bad for your kidneys.
- Low fat is better for me.
- Several small meals per day is better than 2 or 3 big meals.
- Omega 6 /3 Ratios
- Low Carb / Zero Carb diets are dangerous in the long term.
- What’s so bad about sugar?
- But, fat makes me fat.
- There are multiple links and discussions on these topics. We have heard them all!
- Most veteran zero carbers (3+ years) take few, if any, supplements.
- The absence of carbohydrates in the diet lessens the need for vitamin/mineral supplementation. Carbohydrates, especially sugar and grains, along with vegetables, can cause a vitamin/mineral deficiency, whereas in the absence of these foods, there is no longer a deficiency.
Please visit our Zero Carb Health Facebook Group for comments or questions.
- We have read the literature on ketones, ketosis, and keto diets. Many of our members were successful on these types of diets. There certainly is evidence that ketogenic diets can be beneficial in improving health.
Our emphasis is on eating meat. We don’t eat protein or fat – we just eat meat. 🙂
We like to keep it simple. Eat meat when you are hungry and stop eating when you are no longer hungry. Choose meat that you enjoy and don’t fret about the ratios.
Many people experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Headaches (these will likely be worse if you are also giving up caffeine and/or artificial sweeteners.)
- Fatigue, lightheadedness
- Some people report an increase in energy levels
- Nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea, reduced bowel movements
This seems to be one of our most frequent questions! People love to talk about poop, apparently.
- You do not need fiber if you are not eating carbohydrates. We recommend reading Fiber Menace, by Konstantin Monastyrsky for further information. It will change all you thought you knew about fiber and its role in our bodies.
Optimal foods include:
- Meat! Beef, veal, pork, chicken, duck, turkey, fish, shellfish, lamb, etc. Organ meat if you enjoy it, liver, kidneys, and such like. Bacon, of course!
- Eggs; as many as you like. Yolks are delicious and good for you.
Based on Robs conversations with Bear Stanley.
There is no benefit whatsoever from such a low fat/high carb diet, it is nutritionally deficient, body destructive and unwise. Humans are carnivores. Mixed diets are very unhealthy. People are not omnivores like pigs and rats, and lack the equipment for such a diet. We have a wide ranging ability to tolerate a large number of edibles, but this is a survival asset, not a directive to eat that way if you have a free choice of nutrients. Read More
This is the Zero Carb Health information site. All you ever wanted to know about the Zero Carb Diet, from folks who have been eating this way for 8+ years. For comments and discussion about a Zero Carb Diet. Please join us carnivores in our Zero Carb Health Facebook Group.